Learn how to paint this cute Santa Claus Christmas card using either watercolors or acrylics. I will walk you step-by-step through the painting process in the video tutorial so you can paint right alongside me.
I hope you enjoy learning to paint this Santa Claus.
You can download and print the Santa Claus Christmas Card Line Drawing, here, then watch the 1 hour and 12-minute video and paint along with me. You'll need to print the drawing in color because I painted the leaves, berries, and eyes so you can start painting the other parts of Santa.
I've designed this Santa Claus as a Christmas card. You can paint one copy then have the painting copied on a color printer to use as your holiday card. You can even frame the original and hang it on your wall during the holiday season.
“CHRISTMAS SANTA” by Louise Jackson M.D.A.
Download the Line Drawing (click the link below):
Use a large 16 round and a small 6 round.
You can print the greeting card out onto 80 lb. cardstock or you can trace it onto 90-pound watercolor paper using wax-free graphite paper.
If you use cardstock, then you'll want to cover the inner page of your greeting card with a plastic sleeve. You can find the plastic page covers at the office supply store.
Watercolor paint options:
MIJELLO™ Mission Gold Watercolors
- Bright Opera
- Permanent Yellow Light
- Permanent Rose
- Mijello Blue
Winsor & Newton Paints
- Cobalt Blue
Prism Tempra White or white acrylic paint.
Acrylic Paint Options
- If you choose to paint using acrylic paints then look at the color swatch above and use it as a guide. Choose colors that are similar to those in the color swatch. When you blend, you may dampen the paper with a blending medium.
- Make a mix of Bright Rose and a little Yellow Lt. Apply a thin wash on the face. While this is drying paint Bright Opera on the berries. Paint leaves with a mix of Cobalt Blue and Yellow for some. Add a little Mijello Blue to make a darker mix for others.
- Paint Bright Rose on the hat. Lift a little color in the center with a damp brush. Paint this on the jacket and pull stokes into the edge of the whiskers.
- Paint Cobalt Blue shading on the beard under the mustache, on the top of it, and at the outside edges and on the hair. This will have white painted over later.
- Add Cobalt B. to the flesh mix and apply a little down the left of Santa’s face as you face it. Let this dry, Dampen a cheek area. Paint a little Bright Rose on one cheek, blend the edges to fade. Repeat on the other cheek. Add some on the bottom of the nose the same way.
- Use White to paint the beard. This will soften the blue color.
- Paint Dark blue to the belt or leave it white. It is your choice.
- All printers produce slightly different results. If you copy the Santa in color, it may have enough color on the berries and leaves. If you want to strengthen the color on the berries, paint them with your brightest red.
- When this is dry add a white sparkle for a highlight. You may use green for the leaves. If you need to brighten the color use Winsor Green or Viridian. If you want to paint them completely, simply make a green with a mix of Blue and yellow.
Card stock can be flattened by ironing it. Do not use steam. You may also place wax paper on top and bottom, then iron flat.
Enjoy and Merry Christmas,
If you love this technique and want to learn more about painting beautiful florals, landscapes, or still lifes with Louise, you can purchase individual painting classes below. Click on the images to see a large image of the full painting along with a picture of the free bonus painting packet.
Plus Christmas Lantern Packet
Plus Sledding Packet
Plus Member's Only Bonuses
Plus Orange Trumpet Packet
Plus Pink Azaleas Packet
Plus Stroke Flowers Packet
Plus Cherries & Glass Packet
Plus Christmas Rose Packet
Plus Vase of Peonies Packet
Plus Daisy Fun Packet
Plus Lily Trio Packet
Plus Apples in Crystal Bowl
Plus Classic Pink Rose Packet
Plus The Wave Packet
Plus Pink Dahlia Packet
Morning Glories Fence (packet)
Plus Purple Iris 2 Packet
Crystal & Blossoms Packet
Plus Sunflower Duo Packet
Plus Tulip Duo Packet